I've been waiting...

Friday, September 13, 2013

Another Anniversary

Today marks seven years since my paperwork was logged in at the Chinese Centre for Adoption Affairs.  For six years, it sat on a pile or in a filing cabinet or maybe just on someone's desk for all I know, and for six years I dreamed of the little girl who has now taken over my life.  The pain of that wait will never completely vanish, it was far too uncertain and frustrating and exhausting, but it does diminish.  "The wait" as I used to call it was my whole life for six years.  I was bitter and sad and angry about it and at some points it started to seem like "the wait" was actually the event, I was simply this woman who was waiting to adopt from China.  Now that I have Grace home, the wait seems like a distant memory, an old scar, still visible when you check for it, but no longer hurts.  Hard to believe what one year as a mother to such a terrific girl like Grace can do to your mindset.  My heart breaks for those still waiting and the only advice I can give to them is that she was worth the wait!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah!! The wait!! We all remember it when someone brings it up, but don't even think of it no more. Not only does that feeling diminish, but it's becomes so obsolete!! Just like biological mothers "forget" the pain of childbirth to be able to make the choice to have another one!!! :) I too feel very much for the people who are still waiting... for those children who are still in need. May God bless all of them and bring them some comfort in knowing that it somehow has it's purpose!!

Diane (Mom to "LJ" now 8)

MsH said...

Needed this today. Thanks! I'm adopting domestically as a single mom. I started my process July 26, 2012 and have been officially waiting since last Oct. Not such a long time compared to yours, but when you are waiting for the best thing to ever happen and you're not sure if it ever really will, one day feels like forever. Thanks for reminding me that there's not just a tunnel--the light at the end makes the dark days worth the trip.

Snickerdoodle said...

I understand completely. My wait went from 6 months to two years six months and I thought that I would lose my mind. I simply can't fathom your wait or the current wait of near-7 years. I felt like you did, and do. The pain of the "wait" doesn't entirely vanish, but it does ease (what with being so busy!!) lol.
Best,
Snick, mama to two (12&7)

Suzanne said...

glad my post could give you a little lift MsH. There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel and it's bright and busy and crazy and wonderful all at the same time! It's quite a light!!!!!LOL