I've been waiting...

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Learning to Be Parented

A conversation online with some single parent friends and a visit from a friend this week got me thinking.  Online, I communicate with other single mothers by choice and we are arranging a holiday get together where everyone will meet Grace for the first time.  They have all offered to "hold" her at the party to give me a break and be able to chat.  As well, I had a visit from a friend this week and while we were chatting in the living room Grace played around us, pulling herself up, holding onto the coffee table, etc.  She lost her balance and fell, bumping, but not really hurting her head on the couch.  Grace sort of looked stunned and was not sure whether she wanted to cry or not, and my friend, a dear one, distracted Grace by smiling and turning it into a game/ fun thing, something you might naturally do with a toddler who has been born to you.  It got me thinking though that I could write about some of the things I've learned about parenting a child who is new to being parented.  I don't mean this post to sound preachy or know-it-all and I have no criticism at all for any of my generous friends' offers and advice, but there are some definite differences between parenting a baby who has been born and bonded with you since birth and one that is just now forming attachment at 14 months old.  I have had advice about everything from let her "cry it out" to put in ear plugs and go to bed, to have her sleep with me in my bed to just put her down on the floor and let her be.  I have had generous and kind hearted friends offer to take Grace for a while so that I can get things done or have a break, etc.  You have no idea how much I appreciate that offer and will eventually take you up on it so please keep asking.  Right now, my parents are the only ones she feels truly comfortable with away from me.  It may seem right now to some that I am "spoiling" my child.  I attend to her every need and want as best I can.  I go into her room at night every time she wakes up and yes, sometimes she sleeps with me in my bed.  I pick up and hold her A LOT and appreciate when others don't insist on holding her because she is still too anxious to go to them.  However, Grace is learning every day that I will be there for her, that I will always try to make her feel better and satisfy her hunger or soothe her pain or thirst or whatever it is she needs at that moment.  It may seem like I "over-react" to her bumps or cries, soothing her with hugs and cuddles when a simple pat on the head will do but children who have grown up without a constant caregiver have learned not to cry when they get hurt, not to look for soothing from anyone and I need to teach her to look to me for those things, and right now that means every time they happen, no matter how minor.  So yes, I'm still exhausted from going into her room several times a night, from carrying her everywhere and playing with her instead of cleaning the house or relaxing, but I constantly try to remember this time is about her, not me.  I'm not always successful at remembering this, sometimes I feel selfish, sometimes I even break down and cry because it's just so darn hard, but I carry on because I know she needs to see me as her one and only caregiver right now.  Like I said, I will definitely take up people on their offers of a break, so thank you for being patient with Grace as she explores what it means to be a daughter to someone and to have a mother who is always there for her.  She may still need some time to develop the confidence she needs to go to others but it will happen, I am sure of it.   

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh Suzanne - you're doing a great job! You get it. You really, really do! You get that it's you Grace needs and that's the most important thing. I remember rushing to Hannah the moment she had the slightest little bump and comforting her, rocking her, reassuring her and kissing it better. Others may have considered it an over-reaction but to an adopted child it's just what she needed and you're right, what Grace needs right now. You're doing wonderfully!

Looking forward to the next time we can spend time together and chat as our girls play around us!

Little One said...

This seems completely normal. As someone who will see you at the holiday party it wouldn't even cross my mind to offer I hold her. My daughter never wanted to be held by anyone who wasn't me and my situation is not one of adoption let alone after a year. You are showing grace that she can count On you always being there for her. Of course the offers are kind and the advice flows freely, but as the mom now you thank people for advice and make your own decisions. And you simply say, "thanks for offering to hold her. I'm ok." or "she doesn't go to strangers.". You are doing such a wonderful job teaching your daughter that she can rely on you when we don't know if there has been a steady person to rely on before.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne,

I read your posts every time there are some (I'm a suscriber!!), but I feel the need to comment, once again, on this particular post. I too am a single mom who adopted a child from China; she was 19 months old. I read your post and it reminds me of everything I went through and did. You are doing everything I did and exactly how I did it. I also chose not to have anyone involved; to cater to her soothing 5-7 up to 12 times per night; I also was jumping up at each little reaction; and also let the tidiness of the house go from time to time; I also felt judged by others for being too "immediate hands on" and I had offers of help that I chose to decline in order to have a proper bonding with my daughter. TRUST ME - IT'S ALL WORTH IT!!!! She is now 7; and absolutely incredible. She just took off for her first weekend away with some friends of ours (a good friend of mine and her kids). She didn't even look back... She didn't call me during the weekend, although I felt the need to check up on her, I did; but she is doing great and that all thanks to the hard work and efforts I put in, in the begginings. One thing I can tell you as a parent: TRUST YOUR MOTHER'S INSTINCT - it is stronger than any book, and 2nd hand advice... even if it's a new found "instinct''. You know your baby!! You know your capacity!! You know how you want her to be (strong and confident and well bonded) and only you will know how to get her there. There will be "trial and error", but you guys will adapt. You will learn to read her like a book...
Good luck,

Diane

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the comments. Just to be clear, I don't actually feel judged by anyone, just wanted to take an opportunity to explain to people who may not know, why I do things the way I do. People have been great and I actually appreciate the advice given, even if it doesn't end up applying to my situation

shelley said...

Such a great post. When our daughter came home,she would have the same reaction when she got a bump or tumble. We REALLY exaggerated the bump and loving that came after. She didn't really understand at first, but them soon learned to be cuddled and comforted by us. She then learned to LOVE the attention and extra comfort that come with booboos.;) She has been home for 6 yrs and knows how to give and receive comfort. You are doing a fine job...always listen to your gut