I've been waiting...

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Feeling Lucky

Grace and I attended the Remembrance Day ceremony in my town today at the park.  I know she didn't  understand what was happening but it was important for me to go and bring her.  I don't usually promote the whole "she's so lucky" sentiment that I hear so often from people.  Honestly, I feel like the lucky one, and Grace, well she would have had an OK life in China too, I'm sure.  And frankly, as she gets older and starts to understand her life story,  I'm not sure "lucky" is how she will feel about being adopted into a different country and culture.  Time will tell and we'll deal with it as it arises.  However, as I listened to the speakers and thought about the meaning behind the names being read out, the sacrifices that were made so that I could stand freely in a park,  I will for once, agree with the lucky statements.  She is lucky.  Lucky that she will live in a country that will value her, regardless of gender, race or prosperity.  She will have choices and opportunities in our free country that she might not have had otherwise, and while she will always have Chinese ethnicity, I hope one day she is also proud to be Canadian, because it's a great place to live.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! and what a great picture of Grace :)

dayna said...

Love that picture. We were there too, so nice to see how busy it was!

Little One said...

Lovely!

Catherine said...

Amen.