I've been waiting...

Friday, November 30, 2012

Fort Knox!

So, I'm pulling clothes out of the dryer the other day and I turn around to see this:

"Oh, no, no little Grace," I say, "you can't go up there."  I gently bring her back down to the floor with me.
A little while later, I am putting away our coats and shoes and I see this:


"Oh, no, no little Grace, you can't go up there."  I gently bring her back down to the floor and continue putting away the diaper bag, etc

I look again and I see this:


"Grace,"  I say, a little more firmly this time, "you can't go on the stairs without Mommy.  Back down you go."  I gently bring her back to the floor.  And then.... she heads straight for the stairs again.  Apparently she can go up the stairs without Mommy!

In fact, somehow she has managed to learn this task so quickly she is at the top of the stairs before I can even get to her!!!  The best part of all was her smile as she turned around, all proud as a peacock of herself  (or maybe just to see if I was watching, that little monkey!)!!!


The next day, I am getting her lunch ready and I see this:

And this:

And this:


Hmm, I think.  Time for more baby gates!  In comes my good and industrious friend Karen to the rescue! She arrived Wednesday night and helped me install two more gates at the bottom of each set of stairs.  I myself could barely help her as Grace chose to stay up late and keep us company (insert fake smile with gritted teeth here!) So I now have a total of 6 baby gates installed and I feel like I live in Fort Knox!  And I'm once again thankful for good friends!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

She sure is a cute little climber though! 6 baby gates - phew! They slow ya down a bit but provide such wonderful peace of mind!!

Little One said...

Grace is so proud of herself. So glad I got to meet her today and see you. She's lovely and you seem to be filling those mommy shoes beautifully.

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog since you were in your waiting mode but never posted. Your baby is adorable. The baby gates will make your life easier, but I would also do everything possible to teach Grace to come back down the stairs by backing down one leg at a time. My cousin who went with me to get my daughter YEARS ago had stairs when we arrived back in CA. Crawling up and back down the stairs was one of the first things she taught her. One look at these pictures and I know that little Grace can do it, too!!
Carolyn (in Las Vegas)
Mother to Joy Lin (who is now 16 1/2 years but who was 16 1/2 months when I first set eyes on her)

Suzanne said...

Welcome Carolyn! Thanks for the advice. I am trying right now to teach Grace to get back down the stairs, exactly like you described. It would sure be easier on my back if she could get up and down the stairs without me having to carry her. She isn't quite walking yet and she's getting mighty heavy!!!! Still need the gates of course so that she doesn't sneak up and down without my supervision!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I don't think you and I should go into the reno business! The gates were the easy job that night! I could never keep up to wee Grace like you do :) K