I've been waiting...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

8 years

8 years ago today I started this process of adopting from China. On February 22, 2004, I attended an information session for my agency and started the ball rolling.

I became a member of the organization and was put on a call-back list for singles. At that time, China was accepting a limited number of single women into their adoption program. The waiting list at that time was full for the next few years. So I waited about a year on the call-back list in order to get on the waiting list. Then I spent a year on the waiting list before I could apply to adopt. I then spent 6 months completing paperwork and then the 5 1/2 years of waiting I have done officially logged into the program.

The information session was in Burlington and I remember having dinner after the session with a friend who lives in Burlington. She asked me if I was sure that this was what I wanted to do. To look back on that conversation almost makes me laugh. Oh, what I didn't know then! What I didn't know about adoption, inter-racial adoption, attachment, Chinese culture, the process, the waiting, parenting. Maybe 8 years from now, I will look back over this post and almost laugh. Oh, what I don't know yet about adoption, interracial adoption, attachment, Chinese culture, the process and waiting, parenting.

Wow. 8 years. Where does the time go? I guess I should be wishing myself Happy Anniversary???

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Happy Anniversary! The wonderful thing about the wait is that you've used it so well to learn some things about adoption, interracial adoption, attachment, Chinese culture, the process, waiting and parenting.

The lessons about the above will go on for us for a lifetime....but you've come a long way baby!!

Suzanne said...

Thanks Catherine for always seeing the silver lining! Even when the silver lining is so hard to find!

Jules and Danny said...

And the great thing is that the eight years are signalling an end to the waiting and the beginning of the rest... It is so close now. And don't forget all those wonderful friend connections you have made over the eight years. Friends you wouldn't have otherwise. We're all praying for you.

Suzanne said...

You are so correct Julia! I think about that a lot. If things hadn't worked out the way they did, I would not have had the opportunity to meet all the wonderful people I have met so far and maybe I wouldn't have been as prepared as I am now. Am I prepared??? Who am I kidding?!?LOL

Lisa said...

Hey, Suzanne! I just got a chance to read your blog, and it is a beautiful piece that your daughter is going to cherish one day. Your wait has been a long one...but what I know for sure is, that for one lucky little girl half way across this planet, it is worth every moment. She is one who has been prayed for, dreamed about, loved and anticipated, much longer than any other baby I have known. How fortunate she is to be blessed with you for her Mom! You're right...God has a plan...and it is unfolding as it should. In the meantime, you and your blessed baby to be are in my prayers. Hugs!
Lisa

Suzanne said...

Thanks Lisa, I'm glad you got a chance to check out the blog. I do plan to publish/print it at some point as a sort of scrapbook for my daughter. I may end up having to edit out a few choice posts however if it ever comes to a point where I truly have to vent!! Keep in touch!