I've been waiting...

Monday, July 30, 2012

Pink. Very Pink

I've been busy, busy, busy still completing forms, reading up on all things China and travel related and starting to fill my suitcase with things I will need to bring for her and myself and getting Grace's room ready.  The room is pink.  Very pink.  I had chosen a paint chip that I thought was a purpley pink, very cute and went so well with the bedding I will be using.  Now that I have it on the walls, it is definitely pink.  Very pink.  Not sure where I will go with that, it has to stay since I procrastinated and waited until late July to decorate her room.  I don't really have time to change it now, so pink it is.  I will post pictures when I get over the pink thing.


On Friday, a friend hosted a baby shower for me, just a small gathering of friends.  It was beautiful.  She had an "East Meets West" theme with chopsticks and fortune cookies and a jade centrepiece.  We had a great time and I received some beautiful gifts.  I can't believe the generosity of my friends during these past few months.  Grace has enough clothing to outfit her twice a day from now till she's two, she has toys and books and blankets to keep her warm and busy and most of it are things people have simply given me, handed down from their own kids.  I feel very lucky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pink is good! She'll love it. She'll soon be telling you what she wants her room to be like anyway...how are your mural skills?

xo Rachael

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzanne,

I am also a single mom from Canada who adopted from China a little girl. It has been over 5 years now since I have travelled to China. I came across your blog through RQ and I had to read your postings!! I truly enjoy reading you - as I am reliving some of the emotions of my "journey". My daughter, was 19 months old when I got her. She is now 7.

As far as the questions you had go, one of the travel tips I always give my fellow adopters is to bring 2 piece outfits mostly, as they adjust better than the one pieces. I had bought a beautiful thick pyjama for the place, but because she was longer from her torso and shorter legs, it didn't fit her. Two piece pyjamas adjust if they are too long, but if the one piece is too short, you are kind of screwed!!! ;)

Other than that you can find diapers, clothes, shoes, stroller, etc. all at Walmart in China - depending on the city you are in. We had a KFC, McDonald's, PizzaHut, Walmart, right down the street from our hotel. Everything is dirt cheap!!

At the Walmart I bought books for learning to write Mandarin, and music CDs for fun to listen to once we were home. Much cheaper than elsewhere. Some people bought strollers there instead of brigning one.

Food, depending on what she was fed before, you may be okay with the food at the hotel. At breakfast, I would fill a tupperware of rice up (yes, they have white rice in the buffet at breakfast in major hotels). I knew she liked it and it didn't have anything in it, so I wasn't too worried about it spoiling during out outing during the day. If she was hungry, I would pull out the rice or the cookies, etc.

I wish you the best of luck... It's an incredible journey you are on - I can confirm that!!! I would do it all over in a heart beat!!

All the best,

Diane
Mom to Léa-Jade (7)

Catherine said...

Exciting that you're getting Grace's room ready! Looking forward to seeing all the beautiful pink!

Counting sleeps now! You're going to China THIS MONTH!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, there is no such thing as a bad shade of pink :)
Not that I am one to give tips, but watch items not bought in Canada as they may not be CSA or CLU approved. Especially your car seat!! Some seats made in the US do not meet Cdn standards. As for "used" seats, make sure they are not "expired" as they have a date on them. Also, make sure it has never been in an accident, it's integrity and stucture will have been compromised....sorry for the gloom....just an insurance lady talkin'. (p.s. I would not expect to see this posted on your blog :) )